MINDFULNESS-BASED CHRONIC PAIN MANAGEMENT (MBCPM™) COURSE – PRACTICAL
TRAINING (PT: 3699 Click Here)
This weekly training is the patient MBCPM™ course experienced by the learners. The course applies Mindfulness concepts to chronic pain management, employing trauma-informed and trauma-sensitive best practices, including ethical, privacy and safety issues in group facilitation. Participants can be “lived experience” learners, and/or professionals wishing to explore the application of mindfulness to chronic pain suffering. The interactive weekly format allows for a gradual unfolding of the benefits of Mindfulness practice for managing chronic pain and stress conditions. This work provides the template on which to base observations that could be made with a therapeutic chronic pain patient group and includes some participant learners who will be managing their own chronic pain conditions. In addition to experiencing formal practices applied to pain management, components of this course include trauma-sensitive preambles prior to formal practices, skillful use of inquiry, and exploration of relevant key topics through small group and large group discussions. Use of dyads and small groups as a trauma-sensitive strategy provides insight and support for the diversity of interactions encountered in Mindfulness practice, while keeping participants within their “Window of Tolerance.”
The training provides insights into the lens through which chronic pain sufferers view their world.
WHAT YOU’LL BE LEARNING
- Integration of Mindfulness practice into the daily life of a chronic pain sufferer
- Listing non-physical triggers which can result in chronic pain exacerbations
- Experiencing trauma-informed and trauma-sensitive strategies to support a safe space to explore difficult feelings, keeping participants close to their “Window of Tolerance”
- Identifying practices in other mindfulness interventions that require modification for chronic pain sufferers
- Recognizing the power of the group in changing behaviours
This course is aimed at professionals and students with an interest and or/a lived experience in chronic pain and stress conditions.
Materials are provided with enrollment.
If planning to use this training toward facilitation in MBCPM™:
- A previous Mindfulness-based intervention training; and/or
- Secondary education at either a Bachelors, Masters level, MD or higher, in a health-related field.
This can work toward the requirements for the Applied Mindfulness-Based Chronic Pain Management (MBCPM™) Facilitation.